Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Replaced The Batteries With LTH

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

This was a three-day weekend for us, celebrating the Mexican Revolution (Not sure how many more years we are going to do that considering it was a complete failure.  This new president will be the final proof in the pudding).

It's been cold and rainy and the weather isn't going to improve anytime soon.  This week it will continue through the first week of December with warm days and 10C at night, little to no rain.  I've done a couple of things to get the rv ready and it really needs some decorating.  I'm not very good at that but it needs pictures.  We have a great small 5 x 7 frame that is raised fabric and light as a feather.  I need to find more.  We have some great pics just like everyone else.

I bought new batteries.  We bought the last set 7 1/2 years ago.  They were actually starting to bulge on the side.   They were Interstate from Costco and served us well.   They still hold a charge and as long as the sun was shining during the day the charge worked well all night long.  

I stopped by CostCo and they no longer carry them.  Sam's was nearby and they don't either anymore.  They carry batteries but not 6V deep cycle.   Battery Master carries the Trojan brand but they wanted 4800 pesos each for the T105.  Sure, why not?  What other choice is there?  So, I took a chance and stopped at a factory LTH battery store.   Yep, they carry 6V deep cycle at 232 amps.   Get this.  The price was half of what the Trojan cost and still carries a 1-year guarantee.   The label reads, "Solar, Golf Cart, Marine".   Sold!   I had to leave a 1000 peso deposit (500 each) for the return of the used batteries (casco or shell).   Then, they said they had made a mistake on the price.  Because I had come to the shop (they do home service, that's their big business), they gave me an additional 10% discount.   Total came to 2500 pesos each or $125.   

I paid the electrico (car electrician) to come and redo the terminals and check the 12V system and install the batteries.  I could have done it but I don't have a soldering iron and a voltmeter.  Worked out well.  He spent about 3 hours total and when completed he charged me 350 pesos.   What a deal.  I'm very happy and everything is working.  

We went to a party Sunday night.  Holidays are not a good time to be driving around late at night especially if you have had a drink or two.  The last two years I have been the designated driver.  This was a big party with people we have known for over 30 years so we drove into town, rented a hotel room nearby and spent the night.   Worked out well and worth every penny.

2 comments:

  1. Good deal on the batteries. And the guy to install them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea on the hotel room. Good thinking on finding that battery place and on getting the deal.

    ReplyDelete