Sunday, October 28, 2018

Day Off In Guayaquil - Museum of Anthropology

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

(Pictures were taken by my cell phone so they aren't the best)


What a fantastic day.  I was up at 6 a.m. after not sleeping so well.  I ate too many carbs last night and it made me kind of hung over.  I woke up several times during the night.  When I saw the clock at six I decided to get up.   
The hotel has coffee in the room.  It's an electric water pot like a percolator and they have terrible instant coffee that comes in a tea bag.   The other day I bought some Nescafe instant.  Instant is good if you know how to prepare it.  My oldest brother worked for Folgers all his life.  He showed me how instant is made and if you ever get a chance, check out a YouTube video.  The process will surprise you.  I had a couple of cups and hit the shower before heading down for breakfast.  

I confirmed my route with the concierge who said, "that is a very long walk you're taking".  Please, 3.5 km each way.   Off I went down the main avenue and through the Centennial Park.  I hit the beach head on.  It's not really a beach it's a river but it has a marvelous malecon.  

It's called La Perla.  It looks like a string of pearls.


The museum is next to this ferris wheel.  I was about 10 minutes early and hung around and took more pictures.  This mural was created by an artist, Rendon, and it was sitting in a warehouse for 28 years until it was installed outside the museum.


The doors never opened.  I asked a worker who was sweeping and he said that on weekends I had to enter on the first floor, another entrance that was not listed on the upstairs door.  No big deal.  


Each of the following depicts a different set of animals; squirrels, birds, sea creatures.




All the artifacts are from the coastal areas of Ecuador and date back to 3000 b.c.  An excellent exhibition that explains the history of the area, what crops were grown based on the different elevations as well as explanations of what trees and animals live or lived at that elevation.  I spent over two hours there and could have stayed longer.   I left because of this:

The museum is along the river.  All of a sudden, 50 to 100 very loud ski doo starting running up and down the river.  The noise was so irritating I decided it was better to leave.  The audios for the videos were drowned out by the sound.  I wasn't the only one who left.

After, I headed to the mall.  I didn't bring my black jacket and I have my conference on Tuesday.   I took a taxi for $3.50.   I was about a 15-minute drive across town.  I don't care for malls as its all lights, noise, and commotion.  I didn't find anything but I did buy a black shirt I found of all places at the supermarket inside the mall.  😃  It's your typical mall as you can see.



I walked back to the hotel so I did about eight kilometers.  A good Sunday walk followed by a nap.  Now, time for happy hour.

5 comments:

  1. Love the mural and the artifacts are stunning. Hate ski-dos! Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "Man In Black" is without a jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thing this is a beach city so I think I'm good to go. Over a week here touring the city and the coast and no one at any level in private schools wears a jacket. I hope!

      Delete
  3. Excellent pictures and very relevant information on Ecuador's culture!!! Keep posting and keep us updated on your travels Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juan. It will be cool to come back here and visit the country on a vacation instead of work.

      Delete