Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Guayaquil to Manta

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com



I just don't have time to post.  Sunday, I spent the morning with a coworker with two coworkers, one from Guayaquil and one from Venezuela.  We walked the Malecon and then had a nice lunch of the freshest, sweetest shrimp I have ever had.

The city is truly a jewel.  It's clean, orderly as well as the citizens.  There isn't a lot of horn honking, people dashing across streets or speeding.  Speeding is a big no-no and I covered that before.  They have a points system and you can lose your license for a very long time.


I'm just not the type to say no to people.  I really wanted to see the museum of anthropology but I decided it can wait until this weekend.  There will be some interesting information to share about the museum and its history so I hope I make it so I can share with you.


This is the lobby of the hotel Oro Verde.  It has been around for quite some time.  After our tour of the city, I was waiting in the business center using the internet while I waited for the consultant who took me to the city of Manta.  All of a sudden, it was like a bulldozer dropped on my head, and my chair fell out from under me.  Then the shaking began.  I ran to the door and looked out the lobby.  The lights were swinging and people stood in their tracks.  We had just experienced a 5.2 earthquake.  I ran, like the others, for the front door and out to the street.   The streets were lined as people were looking up at the buildings.   It was over.  



On our way up the inland coastal route, we found many of these trees.  They are called Ceibo (say-bo) and only leaf when the rains come.  This is the end of the summer and the dry season.   It also has pods that open and has a cotton-like material inside.  They are huge, very bottle like in the trunk, and a very bright green color.  From what I have read, they are native to this area and I'm not sure if they are found anywhere else.

That's all for now. I'm back in Guayaquil and have a meeting at 7:30 so I need to get up early.  


3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Gracias a Dios you are okay! What a fright!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, this is earthquake country up and down the coast. I have been in others with no damage in Oaxaca, California and Ecuador. They suffered a severe quake on the northern coast two years ago as well as here in Guayaquil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, glad that you and your co-workers are ok. When you are working (I remember those days), personal blogs must take second place. I do appreciate your photos; pictures are worth a thousand words!

    ReplyDelete