Sunday, January 14, 2018

Merida - Wish I Could Have Stayed Longer

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com



I was in Merida two years ago for a local ELT convention.   I returned again on Monday but didn't get a chance to really enjoy the city.  It was a work trip and it was less than 24 hours.  That's what I do and I could always extend the tickets and stay longer but I'm just not into hotels and sightseeing by myself.



I worked with a group of sales people this time around.  It was definitely a different experience and I would have to be creative to hold their interest.  It worked.  The day flew by and they asked that I come back again.   Not sure how it happened, but I ended up with a first class ticket coming and going.  Very relaxing.  I have enough miles now on AeroMexico that I could always ask for an upgrade but we're already at two round trip tickes in Mexico or the U.S. so I prefer to continue saving.

Back to Merida, it has become a beautiful city.  Everyone mentions the fact that it is the safest city in Mexico and I don't doubt that.  It is also one of the cleanest cities and you see that everywhere you go.  The colonial architecture is well-preserved with avenues and streets in excellent condition.  Don id I mention the local cuisine?  Good eats!  Some how we need to find our way down to the Yucatan which would require quite a bit of time off.  Someday.



Don't ask me about the weather here at home.  It's not getting any better.  Yesterday and this morning I woke up to 1C.   This week it will be rain and -2C for two nights so we can expect some type of white stuff.  This is the coldest and longest winter we have experienced in my 33 years here.  

2 comments:

  1. Our guide in Guanajuato says that Guanajuato is the safest city in Mexico. Could be that they are tied with Merida!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merida may be our next stop down the line.....Starting to 'investigate' the possibility.....Marilyn

    ReplyDelete