Friday, July 3, 2009

Ensenada - Club Riviera

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

Today is Friday and I am heading for Tijuana in an hour or two by bus. I have a hotel reservation at the Palacio Azteca for tonight. Tomorrow morning I will get up early and do some exercise, maybe running on the streets of Tijuana (hmmm!). My flight for Monterrey leaves at 9:30 in the morning but because of the time change between here and there I won't arrive until 14:30.

I just received word that I will be going to Oaxaca on Sunday and working there for a week. That should be interesting considering elections are on Sunday and Oaxaca is known for conflict. Well, something exciting to look forward to. It may just turn out to be uneventful.

As I told you the other day, I have been to the Club Riviera that was built in 1930 for Americans to have a haven during the Prohibition period. It was really quite a place and below are some fantastic pictures.





The story goes that the "margarita" was invented in the Riviera in the 40s.

Here's the bar where the margs were made by David Negrete for the first time. I had a double vodka on the rocks here on Tuesday night.


A list of famous people who had been to the club including Desi and Lucy Arnez. Click on the photo to read the list.

A spooky hallway that once had personalities, the rich and beautiful women walking up and down them, gambling, drinking and having fun.

I waited in the dark to see if any ghosts would show up but I never saw any.

No comments:

Post a Comment