Sunday, September 13, 2009

Eating On The Road



People often ask me what I eat when I am on the road working. I can tell you from experience that all of my hosts are gracious and invite me to eat at nice places or even in their homes. But I have to watch what I eat. You may come here for a couple of months in the winter and eat tacos, flautas, enchiladas, gorditas, tamales y menudo but after that you return to your routines in the north.

Sometimes I have no time to leave the place where I am working. That was the case this last week in Chihuahua. The course was at the Fiesta Inn from 8 to 5 everyday. By the time I had finished friday night, I went to my room and collapsed not to mention a tragic event that has hit my family. More on that as the story develops.

Hotel food is very tempting and can turn you into a large potatoe if you aren't careful. Now in Mexico we have more diverse and interesting menus. At Vip's, Sanborn's, and many hotels you will find heart healthy, low-fat, low or no-sugar foods listing their approx. contents in terms of calories, fats, sugars and carbohydrates.

This was steamed chicken stuffed with baked apples and smothered with a low-fat yogurt sauce sprinkled with crushed walnuts served with a spinach and apple salad and a bowl of the best veggie soup ever. It was fantastic.


4 comments:

  1. Looks like the only thing "bad" in that photo is the Coke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was a diet coke, not the best but every now and then you need a little off track stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was a diet coke, not the best but every now and then you need a little off track stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We always try to eat the local specialty.

    ReplyDelete