Monday, April 10, 2017

Heading To San Luis Potosi

Landing in Tampico, Tamaulipas

Friday was the last day of work.  It was a tough one.  I went to Tampico Thursday morning for an event at 3 p.m.   That all worked out great.  It was the delay to return to Mexico City to spend the night.  I got to my hotel room at 1:45 a.m.  I set the alarm for 4:15 a.m. and went to sleep.  Got up, coffeed, showered, dressed and headed back to the airport.   I had asked for a room at the airport but the secretary doesn't travel and I guess doesn't understand what an extra hour and a half of sleep means when you're on the road.  Oh well, I survived.  I went to school after arriving in Monterrey but only for a couple of hours.

So now, I got a bug up my butt about not going to SLP with the rv.  It all seems to be such a hassle anymore.   I think we need a new rv, like a Class B van.  On our Christmas trip we were stopped three times and harassed.   It's not worth it anymore.  They see our Mexican plates and think we will pay them out.  The other issue is the swimming pool.  We had the tile work grouted, searched for a leak, fixed it, added the new blue light kit and filled it up.  Still leaking somewhere.  I'm ready to fill it in but that's not a solution.   We need to be here with the workers.  I hate wasting water. 

I found a hotel in SLP that allows pets.   New, clean and very economical.  It's only 350 pesos a night and a 50 peso deposit on the cat.  It's in the centro and within walking distance of everything.  Cheap if we take the VW which gets 34 mpg.   I'm still undecided.  I spent the weekend get the rv ready just in case. 

Funny story.  I sent Robin and Steve a FaceBook message asking where they stayed in SLP last year at about this time.  Steve said, "you're asking me, you live in Mexico",  I think we both got a chuckle out of it.   We will stay at the El Faro should we make the rv the travel choice.   

I wanted to share this picture with you.  I took this on the way to the airport last Thursday.  As you get into Monterrey from our house the rush hour traffic is horrific and sometimes, if there is an accident, there is no other exit and you have to sit it out.   They have come up with what we call "contra flujo" or against the flow.   The highway has a grass parkway which divides the roadway.   They opened up a crossover and each morning and evening (reversing the traffic)  they start at 6 a.m. setting up cones on the opposite side of the road going into town to create an express lane.   Save a ton of time.   I'm sure they do this in most major cities in the U.S. and Canada but it is new for us.  It works so well they are doing it on more major avenues.  

1 comment: