Sunday, June 27, 2010

What Ever Happened To "Friend"?


living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

You may remember the story of Friend. I found her in April 2009 here on the road literally on the verge of death. It appeared as though she had been tied up and left and must have become so emaciated that she was able to slip out of her collar and rope.

I fed her for a few days and on the fifth day she just appeared at the gate. I took her to the vet and they bathed her and gave her vitamins and meds. She recovered quickly and turned out to be a beautiful dog. She stayed for quite a few months always escaping from the quinta and miraculously reappearing a few days later. Heck, I didn't even know she was pregnant until the day she gave birth to four little ones, all of whom have good homes.

But Friend is a free spirit. Soon after she had her litter we took her to the vet and had her fixed. She was a good mother but didn't want to hang around long. She was meant to be on her own and go when and where she wanted.

She's still around. Our neighbors take her in. She likes their food better as they give her their restaurant leftovers. Not a good diet but I decided she was happier there. She comes and goes when she wants and they take her in every night so I know she's safe.

This morning I went to buy the paper. On my way home I saw Friend. I should say she saw me. She came running and jumping even pushing me. I gave her a big hug and she looks so happy. When I found her, her self-esteem had been beaten into the ground, abused and attacked by dogs and people who don't give a shit about life in general. Now, her head is high and she has a happy look on her face. As she followed me down the road we played for a while. Another dog came along and I thought it was trouble. Not anymore. They started wrestling and playing. Why she even knocked him over in the process.

She's on the front porch right now. I gave her some water but I left the gate open. She won't be here long. It makes me sad that she doesn't want to stay with us. But when I see her on the road sitting under the shade of a tree and she raises her head as I drive by I know she's saying hello to me and I know in my heart I did the right thing.

It's that old cliche, “If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours forever. If it doesn’t, then it was never meant to be.”

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear she is doing well. It takes a strong person to allow her such freedom. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update on Friend. Glad she's doing well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I love this story. What a lucky dog she is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/rvs/1814205910.html

    ReplyDelete