Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I Blew My Stack


living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

Today I had a meeting with our local mayor. Yes, you might think that based on the 60 Minutes report and the latest news out of Monterrey that I would have second thoughts. No, I don't. I arrived on time for the meeting and waiting 45 minutes. I kept pressuring the secretary until finally they passed me on to the "Secretario", or the mayor's assistant. I know the assistant. We worked out together at the gym where I went in Monterrey for a couple of years. Nice guy but now part of the bureaucracy.

We bantered back and forth about the problems on the road where I lived. I outlined all the times that I have visited the mayor's office, people I have spoken to, lack of services, and the fact that I have been with this project for 10 years. Getting the road paved is my ulitmate goal. However, I would settle just to have the road graded and and material put down to eliminate the problems with messy mud during rainy periods.

I was getting the run around and finally I let him have it. My hand came down so hard on his desk that he backed away in his chair. I think at that point I got his attention. I told him if I had to I would go to my local district representative and senator or to the governor's office if that is what I have to do to get some results. I also reminded him of the fact that I pay the property tax and car taxes every year in the first two weeks of the year. This money goes directly into the city coffer.

He went as far as to remind me that after Hurricane Alex, they were waiting for the monies from Fonden (Mexico's FEMA). Well, I reminded him that that was the same bullshit answer that I received in 2005 after Hurricane Emily and nothing came out of that either except multiple visits to the city offices, frustration and personal expense.

He picked up the phone and scheduled me an appointment for tomorrow morning with the new director of public works. I will give him a ration of my b.s. too if he starts to yank my chain. I am also considering privatizing our half of the road making an agreement with the neighbors to put up an entrance and an automated gate. We receive no services from the city that including trash pickup, water or sewage, street repair (obviously) or anything else. That will be my next point of attack.

We have decided that the house will probably not sell anytime soon due to the reputation our little town has gained over the last year. So I have made the commitment to get this done.

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck Chris, I hope you get the results you are looking for.

    Kevin and Ruth
    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete