Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What An Attitude

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

I've been watching the news today about the tragedy in Japan.  The most interesting part of all this is the nuclear reactors and the possible meltdown and escape of radioactive materials.  I am watching CNN and an expert, Jim Walsh from MIT,  says he is amazed that the Japanese are not giving out more information for global experts to analyze and he can't believe what he is or is not hearing.  Wow, I guess our memory is short.  Let's go back to Three Mile Island.  The U.S. government was long on disseminating information to the media and the world.  

We just can't let go of criticism and ownership of all the world's problems.  You would think with all the mess the U.S. is in right now, they would not only be more understanding but also less critical of other countries and governments.  

The U.S. is one of many great countries but it has an attitude problem. 

However, the Japanese not only provide a wonderful example, but are also exercising tremendous control over looting and their show of patience while forming long and endless lines.   In the Americas, well let's just say, Katrina was an example of culture and how not to manage a major disaster.

I may sound critical, but now that I am an outsider, I can understand why so many people don't like us. 

6 comments:

  1. I am in total agreement with you Chris. The U.S. seems to be in a continuous state of clueless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You haven't heard from me before, but I've been following and enjoying your blog for a long time.
    I taught school for 20 years, so I find what you do to be very interesting. I'd have enjoyed a job like yours I'm sure.

    I just had to reply this time.
    I'd like to say "Right on".

    I do enjoy visiting the USA and have been doing so all my life (I grew up only 30 miles from the border in Manitoba).

    We've visited all the lower 48 except for Florida. I agree as a country they do have an attitude, much of the time I just find it most amusing, some times,tedious and some times even annoying.
    I have always been happy to be a Canadian when traveling in other countries.

    Elaine in BC Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with you.

    I find myself more and more embarrassed by my birth country.

    The Japanese have shown the world what it looks like to handle a disaster of catastrophic proportions with grace and dignity. They are a model civilization.

    Unlike what we watched with shame during Katrina. Have yet to see one Japanese person running out of a store with a big screen TV on their shoulder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elaine and Trailrunner,

    wow, sometimes I'm afraid I sound like a nut but I guess I hit home with some people from time to time.

    Don't get me wrong, it is a great place to visit and travel but I sure wouldn't do much boondocking there based on statistics. They used to have a lot of good things but the last ten years it started to fall apart.

    Cool, good to know I'm not offending everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed my stay in Monterrey, and was very surprised how different the people are there compared to the border towns.

    I suppose us Brits are kinda like the Canadians. When I immigrated here in 1963, I found that it is a very different way of life here in the USA.

    Everything seems to be more money motivated and people are judged by what they have, not who they are.

    Happy Trails, Penny, TX
    www.pennys-tuppence.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guess we just need to declare the war on drug over and give up--wait, we already did that with Bush 1. Legalizing drugs and taking the profit from the market (gov't sales monoply coupled with rehabilitation) is the only sane, immediate solution IMHO.

    however, I don't think that mass murder whoever the victims may be, is allowable under Mexican law.

    Think the Japanese gov't lies as bad as the rest of them. What is your radiation count today? Japan is a flat out racist country. Don't see anyone taking a TV set because most everything was ground to rubble. Do agree that they are handling everything in a very civil manner. Being prepared and practicing for disaster is the baest key to survival. I've sent my donation to the Salvation Army to help them.

    ReplyDelete