Sunday, October 7, 2012

Trying To Make Sense of All This

 
I made it home Friday around six.  It was good to be home.  I had a busy week working in Laredo on Monday and driving back to McAllen, working in La Joya and then in San Juan on Friday.
 
So many things I don't understand.   The schools are like prisons.  Huge places that seem to be like luxury living quarters with fancy carpets, and computers everywhere and yet none of these things will ever be paid for.  It is obvious it is all on credit, bonds and other things they have invented to bring in the money for their districts.  
 
Really sad though to see that people live this way.  Most of the schools I have visited have school populations of really poor kids.  Many of them come from Mexico and cross the border everyday.  All they need to have is a birth certificate and a visa and they can walk right up to the school door and cannot be refused access.  I wonder if that was part of Bush's "no child left behind" program. 
 
90% of all the kids are bilingual.  By that I mean they speak both English and Spanish but do poorly in English classes.   Once some of the kids found out I spoke Spanish, they refused to speak to me in English although two parts of the course are reading and writing. 
 
Metal detectors, fingerprinting, police with guns, all too bizarre for me.  

2 comments:

  1. Your observation is very interesting; makes one think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand why the kids won't make the effort with the English. You are there to support their efforts.

    ReplyDelete