Saturday, October 20, 2018

Monterrey to Guayaquil, Ecuador

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

Saturday 2:45 a.m.   I woke up on my own before the alarm went off.  I had to go to the bathroom and when I got back in bed I decided to check my phone only to find out It was time to get up.  I went into the kitchen and started the coffee which we always set up the night before.

One cup of joe and I headed for the shower.  Great to have that shower fixed now and it was instant hot water although it comes from the other side of the house.  I had packed the night before but as always I leave something behind. 

Off we went to the airport.  It was raining lightly outside and the weather is still chilly from the cold front that came through on Monday.  Love this weather and I will never complain about cold, snow or rain.   It took 45 minutes to get to the airport.  As always we have good car talk and conversation so it seemed as if it was only minutes before I arrived at the terminal. 

First stop was immigration.  I have to ask for permission to leave the country every time I go somewhere.  There were only a few people in line.   I got to the counter and showed the official my documents.   My resident identification card is over 15 years old.  She made a comment about the card and said it was in very good shape.  I asked her if I could continue using it.  Now they have an electronic card they can swipe but she said it was fine as long as I don’t have any address changes.  She then looked at my passport and said that I was as well preserved as my immigration card.

I had called the airline last night to see exactly how early I had to be there.  The guy was very sure of the information and said 2 hours.  I told him I had nothing to check in, I did my web check-in but he insisted.  I told him that when I go to South America on Copa from Mexico City they tell me 35 minutes.  Anyway, I do my own thing.  I got there an hour early and I was still early.  They said I didn’t need to go the counter since everything was good to go. 

I went through security and on to the gate.  After I had sat down with a hot coffee, they called my name.  Document check.  I told them that their coworker at the ticket counter passed me through and they said they just wanted to see my immigration document.

I’m on the plane now and we are in the air.  This is an Embraer 190 so sits four across the plane.  I moved to an empty row so I have lots of space.  They kept sending me emails for upgrading to first class but they always want too much and I hate to waste my miles.  This works out great.  We have only been in the air for 15 minutes and you can smell breakfast.   I’m going to read my book, Fear, that Croft sent me.   It’s a travel book so I only read it when I am on the road. 

Breakfast was pretty good.  It was an egg soufflé with sausage and potatoes.  I didn’t eat the roll or potatoes but the rest gets four stars.   The coffee was some of the best.  I had a coffee in the airport in Monterrey and it was, well, so-so.

The rest of the flight was pretty quiet.  I watched two documentaries on Panamá.  In one video, they showed the indigenous people who make molas.  Molas are a reverse applique design.  Its origin is in body painting and transferred to cloth after the missionaries arrived.  I have three of them framed, hanging in the living room.

Landed on time.  Actually, we were 15 minutes late because they did a runway inspection in Panama as we were taking off.  Immigration was a breeze.  The officer wanted to know if I had been there before and I said the last time was in March.  She confirmed that stamped my passport and off I went.  No forms to fill out. 


The chauffeur was waiting for me and took me to the hotel.  A quick 15-minute trip and I was in my room.  I took a nap and then headed off on the street.   I have pictures but my phone cable isn’t transmitting to my laptop so that will have to wait.   I received a message from a coworker that wants to take me out in the morning for breakfast.   That wasn’t the plan but it looks like nothing is static.  I couldn’t refuse, that would have been rude.  Maybe he and his wife will ask me what I want to see and I can say, the museum of anthropology.  

5 comments:

  1. Off on another adventure you lucky guy! BTW, that immigration woman was hitting on you! :) Enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Fear" is an excellent book, thanks Croft! Ecuador is on the bucket list and we look forward to your adventure there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun! Keep the updates coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always fun to travel with you. No breakfast on our USA/Canada flights, we're lucky if we get a beverage and some pretzels!

    ReplyDelete