Saturday, November 3, 2018

Getting The Rv Ready

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com




I wouldn't say that the rv has been neglected but it was time to get down to brass tacks and get some repairs done.  The frame and most of the metal parts such as the bumper, jacks, LP gas tank tray, the hitch and the WDH system all needed some cleaning and painting.  

I started with the rear bumper and jacks.  Not at all difficult and actually quite fun to do.  Rust is the enemy on these parts so I took off all the parts, soaked them in a salt and vinegar solutions.  I washed them in soapy water and then after drying gave them a light sanding.

I am using Rustoleum flat on all the parts.  My motivation for this part of the project was Nancy and Doug.  They did this I think over a year ago and I kept saying that I needed to do it.

Another motivation for this project is that it's good to keep busy when you are grieving.  I'm sure most of you know that I lost my brother Steve this week while I was in Ecuador.  I'm still in limbo here but I have lots of support.  Yep, I'm a guy, but we suffer too and we need emotional support.

My brother and SIL were in Cancun.  Being the adventurer, he decided to go scuba diving which he had done many times before.  He had a massive heart attack.  The ambulance arrived within five minutes but he couldn't be revived.  We did as much as we could in terms of helping from a distance and ready to go should my SIL and nephews needed us.  All I can say is, don't rely on the U.S. government.  They didn't lift a finger after several attempts to be in contact.

Fortunately, the hospital personnel were more than kind and one employee who spoke English did the translation for my sister-in-law's police report.  He did a fantastic job and with the paperwork, they were able to take my brother to the funeral home for cremation.   The documents that followed, again no thanks to our friendly U.S. consulate, helped them get the ashes through Mexican customs and into U.S. customs without a hitch.   So if you should decide to pass away while out of the U.S., you're on your own.  As I have always said, KNOW BEFORE YOU GO.





In memory of my brother Steve.  It happened so quickly he may not even know he's gone.  We'll never know.  We had good times in the last 10 years.  We took trips to San Miguel de Allende, Loreto, and time along the coast of Oregon.   I'm sorry he won't be here anymore.  

8 comments:

  1. My best wishes to you and your family..I do not know your brother but perhaps he went too early but maybe he went doing what he loved..take care les

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little jobs are great to get done, aren't they? Our bumpers still look like new. Glad we could inspire someone!

    Thanks for sharing stories about your brother. A loss like this is just so hard but sharing, I think, hopefully helps a little. Wish we could be there to raise a glass in a toast to Steve.

    Hugs to you and Juan......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, so very sorry for your loss. Steve will always be with you in spirit and soul. Part of that soul will be when you remember an event that the two of you shared which brings a smile to your face. Blessings to you and Juan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your loss, grieving is a timely process and keeping busy helps a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're saddened and sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. Our thoughts are with you and your family. Take care - Sue and Brian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sweetheart I'm so sorry to hear about Steve. There are no words I can offer, as time is the only thing I've found that helps heal the pain of such a loss. But know I'm thinking of you, and holding you and yours and Steve in my heart and prayers. Bless you all. XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again, sending you hugs.

    Colin says that you should use a primer before using the rust paint. The paint itself is not quite enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will take a while to get over this.......My brother died many years ago and he's still in my heart always
    .....Hugs to you and Juan....

    ReplyDelete