Monday, July 29, 2019

Celebration of Life - Boise Idaho

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

My brother Steve.   You brought so many so much joy and happiness and you'll truly be missed by all of us.  Thanks for sharing so much with me and adding to my life.


It's been busy since we arrived in San Antonio and I haven't had time to post.  We left San Antonio on time Saturday evening.   American Airlines was able to change one of our seats to an aisle but I was in a window seat in a different row.   Nice chat with a couple from L.A. who are teachers.  

We changed planes in Phoenix with only a few minutes to change gates but they were close.  That was a pretty long flight however we both had aisle seats across from each other.  Our tickets didn't allow for seat choices unless we paid $36 per seat on each leg of the flight.  

The shuttle was waiting for us in Boise and took us three blocks to the hotel.  Holiday Inn is always reliable and we had a free night there.   I was surprised that breakfast wasn't included, I had assumed that as in Mexico it always is.  They had breakfast but for the price, we opted to go up the street for Denny's special.

Our Turo car was waiting for us but we were not too happy.   All of a sudden we were told that the air conditioning had gone out on the Smart car.  Okay, no big deal as the weather here is comfortable.  We took the car but I will negotiate the final price when we return the car.  This is a Turo car share where the owner lets out their car for a very good price.  So far so good and for the money saved, well worth it.

Juan, my brothers Bill and Bob and of course, yours truly!


Off we went to my SILs house and very surprised to see it fill up within an hour with friends, family, and coworkers who had known my brother.   Quite the celebration.   Many people spoke at the event sharing their stories as well as my nephew who looks just like his dad.  I learned a few things about my brother I didn´t know.   I guess that's normal as we have always lived far apart and only shared trips together.  



My oldest sister Dorothy.

It was a bit sad at times as this was the first time I could realize that my brother was truly gone.  He was taken so young but lived a very full life.  My brother and his wife had a wonderful life together and they have two wonderful children and three grandchildren.  They are a very, very close family.  My niece, until recently, was the director of the botanical gardens in Colorado Springs and my nephew a university professor.  They have always shared family vacations and summer with grandkids. 

I won't go on.  We will stay until Wednesday relaxing and visiting.  My brothers from Hawaii and Cincinnati will go home today and my sister from Reno with have lunch with us today before heading home tomorrow.

Our Airbnb is a dream apartment.  Very comfortable and well decorated.   Again, Airbnb and super hosts make our travels easy, fun and carefree.

4 comments:

  1. Always sad when a sibling passes away. my much younger brother passed 19 years ago, The closure though is very important, Nice that you were able to be there, and again sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sad occasion but mixed with the joy of seeing friends and family we have not seen for a while. We had Norma's Celebration on Saturday. These are tough times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thought of you all and am so happy the travel and accommodations worked out as well as it did. A bittersweet trip for sure, though sweetened by memories shared. Sending love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely way to honour your brother. From what you have written it sounds like it was the perfect celebration for everyone. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete