Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Cancun to Merida


living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

I worked with the University del Caribe in Cancun yesterday afternoon. This is a public university and has a library and English self-access to die for. The student body is young, vibrant and happy. A great bunch of kids. The same goes without saying for the teachers in the English department. I was surprised that the tuition is practically free and easily accessible to all the population.



As I said earlier in my "fear mongering post", we had a quick dinner at Applebee's which by the way stank. The pasta was way over-cooked and the sauce like water. But my coworkers wanted to eat there so I gave in. I would have opted for a carnita torta on the road.

We took the autopista which is as straight as an arrow. It had practically put me in a trance. We arrived two hours later to Merida and to my hotel in the picture. An old hotel that has been remodeled many times. Very nice but not the Hyatt.

h

First things first, I called Jonna and Mimi back. They had called me while I was on the road. They buzzed by the hotel and we went out for a couple of drinks, me being the early bird I still woke up before six a.m. and am about ready to get an hour of shut eye. We had a great time chatting it up and I hope we get together for dinner.

First things first, I broke a piece off of a front tooth at breakfast. Not because of the food mind you, the same tooth was broken when I was in eighth grade and has seen been resined about four times. The last two times it was just like today, right before I need to give a presentation. Murphy follows me.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same comment as the one I deleted but only part of it showed up last time.

    It is time to "bite the bullet" and get that tooth fixed properly with a crown, mi amigo. Well maybe you shouldn't actually bite a bullet right now.... but dentists in Mexico are reasonably priced.

    Enjoy dinner. Jonna and Mimi took us to an Italian place that was nice and we ran into a couple of their friends there. Fun people!!! Just like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, it's cool that all mexican public universities are free (or almost free) for mexican citizens...

    ReplyDelete