Wednesday, September 26, 2012

School Observations

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

 
First off, I apologize for not doing any rving.   We will be on the road in November  so until then be patient.
 
Yesterday we went to a very large well-known public high school.  We had already filled out a security background check form via internet.  So when we got to the school, we were cleared.  It's kind of like  a prison.  Nothing like school that I knew as a kid and nothing like a Mexican school.
 
The kids overall were well-behaved with the boys being more mature than the girls.  They truly seemed to be interested in the boot camp and it was incredible to seem them work the math problems.   These guys are whizzes on their scientific calculators.
 
Lunch was interesting.   My co-worker went out to get the lunch and we ate in the auditorium.  The kids were in the cafeteria and the outside patio under the supervision of  "armed" S.A. policemen.  That was a new one for me.  It only added to the prison atmosphere.
 
Today I have the day off and plan to go the gym, stop by and visit our neighbors and hopefully do an inspection of the rental we have.   I am also making my last minute prep for my seminar tomorrow in Seguin, Tx.   After I finish there, I will head back to McAllen for the night.

5 comments:

  1. I'm getting caught up on the posts of the last 2 weeks. What are your seminars in the high schools about? Are most of the kids bilingual? I wonder if the visibility of "authority" in the schools is as much to deter outside influence (drug dealers etc) as it is to let the kids know that they have zero tolerance for "bad" behavior?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the whole "security" thing is way out of control in the U.S., isn't it? It's similar in the big cities of the U.K.. One thing we notice in the U.K. is the CCTV cameras everwhere. I really don't have a problem with them, it's just something we noticed. Hard to believe most Americans are afraid to go to the Mexico. I think I'd be afraid to go to high school in the States!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, things have really changed! It was always the girls who were much more mature and the only time we ever saw a cop was when someone phoned in a bomb threat once or twice a year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hay, I'm a country boy that grew up in Kansas. We only had 1 LEO for the entire county. Never say him, only heard about him. My memory is both the girls & boys were about the same. Lots of FUN! I'm old school and like my privacy. Not doing anything wrong but my business is my business even walking down a street.

    rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

    ReplyDelete