Monday, June 15, 2015

Cardiologist and Racism In Mexico?

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com



Yep, kind of a two for one today.  I had my cardio check up today.  My cardiologist is the best.  Very friendly, a funny guy and yet he really knows his job.  He works with his dad who is a heart surgeon as well in the same place.   

My checkup began at 9:45 with blood workup and an x-ray.  Unfortunately, they still wouldn't let me have a cup of coffee.   I went back upstairs to the cardio ward where they began with an EKG.   



Following were blood pressure analysis by the doctor as well as listening to my blood flow.  Scary because it sounds like you're in a submarine.

Stress test was next and he really up it until I was almost running.  He kept asking if you could keep going and I said yes.  The last 30 seconds were tough but he said I was like a professional soccer player.  I know he wants to make his patients feel good. 

I go back next week for the follow up on blood work and his consultation.   He says there are no blockages or other issues.   Total charge was 1500 pesos, or around $98 dollars.   Thank you Mexico.

Now on to racism.  Does it really exist in Mexico?  Some think so but most don't.  I think if it exists it is against indigenous groups because of language and cultural differences.  But color as an issue, I don't think so.  As you know we call people by color.  If you are black we all you negro.  If your very dark but not black, prieto, and as the scale goes down to moreno and then to guero.   They are even people's names.  People call me guero in public even if they don't know me. 

Here is a new product to hit the market.  I saw it when I went to buy my wonderfully strong cup of coffee after the four hours at the doctor's.  The sign said, "Bimbo El Negrito"  2 X 1.  I couldn't resist.  The product name is "Nito".   The cashier said they are selling like hotcakes.  I won't eat it but it is what we used to call a longjohn, long donut type, cream-filled with chocolate icing.


10 comments:

  1. You will be around for a few more years my friend! I would definitely eat that Nito!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to add that I noticed the racism towards the aboriginal people as well. They are also pushed into the lowliest of jobs as well. The government does it's share of discrimination towards the aboriginal people as well, most notably in Chiapas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done on your cardio checkup! That is one that you want to pass with flying colours and it looks like you have! :-)

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job but how was the blood pressure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BP is stable and just a tad below hypertensive, He said that lifting waits requires an increase in medication every couple of years but not an issue. Lower weights but more repetitions. He said to not give it up because it has more benefits than disadvantages.

      Delete
    2. So I would say that you are now new and improved :)

      Delete
    3. Hard to improve on the original version!

      Delete
  5. Racism in Mexico is a slippery thing. Most Mexicans think there isn't any, but I'd disagree. Though it is also mixed with social class (as it is here in the USA), there's clearly a preference in Mexico for whiter people. I wrote a post about this on my blog, "Moreno y Güero in Zacatecas," (https://gringosuelto.wordpress.com/2014/03/30/moreno-y-guero-in-zacatecas-some-thoughts-on-mexican-concepts-of-beauty/) and it's pretty clear that the indoctrination into "white is better" starts at a very young age, and it's accepted uncritically. This is nothing if not "color discrimination." I think the fact that Mexicans don't seem to consider this racism is one of the reasons that Mexican racism persists.

    Check out my post. You might change your mind.

    Saludos,

    Kim G
    Boston, Ma
    Where we wish medical care were as cheap as in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Women often comment on how "white" a baby is. In general,children with lighter skin are described with an appreciative tone while darker skinned children are described remorsefully. I hear men that have worked in the US talk negatively about black people there. I also see many ads that use lighter skinned/white people to promote their businesses; like Coppel and Transpais (bus line) and various universities. Sometimes people make comments to me that I don't think they would be saying if I were black. I often don't know what to say, but maybe next time I could ask, "If I were black, would you still say that?" It's hard, because they don't think of themselves as racist, and I don't want to call them out as being so, especially certain in-laws. Like my husband's 90+ year old aunt...

    ReplyDelete