Monday, July 4, 2016

Fourth of July Weekend - San Miguel de Allende

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

No fireworks going on here except for those at the cathedral every morning at 6 a.m.  I'm up so it doesn't bother me.

The weekend was pretty good.   Saturday I had a minor inconvenience.  I had gone to the gym in the morning, showered and decided to go goof on gringos at the organic market.   Never made it.  I went to Mega first to get a yogurt and a piece of bread so I wouldn't pig out at the market.  Big mistake.  It was a descuido (lack of care) on my part.  I set my cellphone down on top of the bread bin to keep my charola (tray) from sliding and falling.  I picked them both up and went to the counter.  Heading to the cashier I thought, "oh shit".  Sure enough, it was gone in a matter of 2 minutes.  No one saw a thing.  I'm still convinced it was the girls at the bakery, they sure looked guilty enough when I went back to ask them if they had seen it.

My fault, water under the bridge.  I ended up  going to Dolores Hidalgo to file a report and recover the same number and get a new chip.  Juan is sending my old phone and I will have it tomorrow.  The manager at the Movistar in Dolores told me it is non-stop.   Even he has had his stolen three times.  In the U.S. last year, 5 million were stolen.  Big business I guess.  Enough of that.

I took advantage of my day in Dolores to comfort myself with a rose petal ice cream in the main plaza.   I watched the goings on and took a well-deserved break.  Darn I really liked that phone.  I headed home and took a short nap and then a walk down to the lake.  Happy hour followed and I ended up finishing a good movie, "Young Guns".

Sunday was a blast.  I slept a full eight hours, not common for me.  I woke up at six a.m. I guess with the fireworks.   I decided to fire up the generator and make java in the Mr. Coffee.  Funny how my mind works.  I had a shorter cable made for a project that still hasn't been completed.  I used it with the generator and no 110.  Oh poop.  So I used the original cable and no 110.  Oh poop again.  What could be wrong?  I flipped all the breakers and bingo.  I guess being on solar so much you never think about those things.  Wasted energy in the long run.  I like my French press better and I didn't need any charging.

I showered and walked downtown to the plaza.  Headed back to San Antonio and had breakfast at an outside cafe for 50 pesos including coffee.   I enjoyed sitting back and watching people coming and going.  Off I went back up the hill.  I figure it was a 9 km walk round trip.   I went to the Sunday market purposely full so I wouldn't pig out.   Gringos only go to market on the hill on Tuesdays.  Weird.  I guess it's a cult thing.

Had a great afternoon nap and had a good chat on Facebook.  Fixed a nice pasta dish and listened to the rain.  If you've got solar you've gotta get an electric blanket.  I swear it is the best thing since whit on rice.  Uses very little power.   I keep it on low and put it under the sheets.  Traps the heat inside and sleep like a baby.

Well, I hope to be posting pics again anyday now.  BTW,  happy Fourth of July.   I got an automated email from my accountant in San Antonio saying they were closed for the holiday.  I had forgotten all about it.   Guess I've been here to long.

4 comments:

  1. That's a good walk from the Botanical gardens to down town, it's the walk back that is the killer. We walked many times from upper Azteca to the Mega through the centre of town, but then we took a taxi back with all our shopping. We sure miss San Miguel. Sorry about your phone...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, the ice cream in the Delores plaza. Great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, the ice cream in the Delores plaza. Great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I miss the ice cream in Dolores Hidalgo too! Sorry about your phone. :-(

    www.travelwithkevinandruth.com

    ReplyDelete