Sunday, March 8, 2020

House Updates - My Check From Uncle Sugar - Travel Thoughts

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

Here we are in March and you can tell there is definitely something going on with climate change be it nature's way, manmade, or a combination of both and I stick with the latter.  The grass is still dormant.  I tried watering this week as the temperatures had gone up to 25C and sunny days but it won't budge.  The trees started to bud and that has stopped also.  

"Ed" sent my check.  You know, that guy on U.S. television commercials that says no matter how little or how much damage was done he can get you a better check?  Not really, Uncle Sugar deposited my first social security check and five months retroactive as I had applied in August 2019.  Not sure why it took so long but now there's more money to burn on home remodeling.

There will be some painting, caulking, and touch done on the outside of the house.  The pool will be drained in the next week I think even though we may have visitors at the end of the month.  It would still be too cold anyway but it would look nicer with water.  Who knows?  They may just have it done.  I always wanted a granite countertop.  We settled on quartz along with new kitchen tile.  The appraisal came in on the house and a neighbor is selling his quinta that is a rental with just a pool and no house for a hefty sum so we may just get lucky.  We will attempt a FSBO first before looking for a realtor.

Since I am home most of the day after the gym except for my late afternoon 10km walks, I have started painting some of the interior.  I wanted to touch up the baseboards, front door and bay window ledges with Minwax, it has a light varnish finish with stain.  I have used it a lot but Home Depot has stopped ordering it and the shelves are running dry.  Behr Paints is the replacement but I don't want to take a chance right now.  I found a super easy application called Watco Danish Oil, a heavy oil with a stain that leaves a great sheen.  It works wonders for tired wood.  So, as Juan says, if it's wood, watch out because it's going to get oiled and he's right.  I even started attacking the furniture as well

We were planning on a trip to Ecuador but with the Covid-19 hovering overhead, I don't want to be stuck somewhere or put in quarantine when we get back home.  We're taking the rv out this next weekend as we have a three-day weekend.  I have turned the hitch shank upside down to lift the trailer a bit to see if that helps with the very minor sag in the SUV.  Also, the new toilet is wanting to be installed but it doesn't seem to line up with the old one.  I don't like drilling holes in a floor when I'm not sure what's underneath.  We'll go for a spin, try out the new modifications and I guess take a Spring break trip here in Mexico although I'm not too thrilled with all the noise, hootenannies, heavy drinking and overall lack of order that Semana Santa brings.

I guess I need to update my blog profile now that I can say I am offically retired.  Stop the clock!

3 comments:

  1. Eager to hear about your 3 day trip... you know I live vicariously through your RV adventures. :) |Smart choice on the quartz! Take pictures please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your posts especially since we are home owners too now. Still miss the RV but you can't have everything! Didn't make any changes in our new winter abode just cleaning and getting used to owning a concrete house in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete