Saturday, May 9, 2020

Got To Keep Busy - Storms and Baking

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

WARNING!  Graphic Tornado Footage, Apodaca, Nuevo Leon May 8th, 2020


Good thing I finished the yard work yesterday.  I did the back on Thursday and the front on Friday, including trimming and cleaning.  It was hot, got up to 37C for a few days.  Then the windstorm came yesterday around 5 p.m.   We had tornados out by the airport and unfortunately two lives were lost.  Tornados in northern Mexico are a fairly new occurrence for us in the last 10 years.  We never heard of them or even considered them.   Now we have hail regularly when our truly devastating hailstorm was back in 1999.  Insurance companies were busy for six months.

Today I got up at 4:45 a.m. and after coffee and internet time I was dressed and ready to go out to do my 10K.  I got to the gate and the rain started again.  Bummer.  I don't do well being inside all day.  I had to find an activity to keep me busy.  I decided to make some homemade cinnamon rolls.

I don't have any cookbooks so I sometimes use the internet or in today's case, I made the dough for bread.  That's pretty easy from memory.   I did that earlier this morning when we had pancakes for breakfast.  You just throw the ingredients together and out comes pancakes.  They were pretty tasty s I like to add a bit of brown sugar and vanilla to the batter.



As you can see the baker is in the kitchen.  It didn't take long to put the ingredients together and waiting for the dough to rise is the true test.  It came out beautifully.  They are in the oven now and I will be making the icing in a minute to put on top.  


I am baking them in our new oven.  In the past, Mexican ovens didn't have temperatures on the dial, it was bajo, medio, alto.  This new Mabe has temperature control and I have the thermometer in there just in case.  Right on the button and the rolls are filling the house with some great cinnamon aromas.

As a side note, Presidente Dingus hired two persons for high positions in SAT.  That is our version of the IRS.  Neither has any fiscal experience.  PD says it doesn't matter, the most important thing is that they are incorruptible.  😎😎😎  Gotta love the guy, he's following in Venezuela's footsteps.  I figure we'll all be broke in the next two years!  Viva Mexico!


3 comments:

  1. Wow..nice job on the cinnamon buns..I can almost smell them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look even better than the orange cranberry bread I just made and it was quite tasty. I can't seem to wait till it cools before I dig in.

    ReplyDelete