Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Back Home From SMA - Mission Accomplished (Plus a Video)

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

Not everything turns out the way you want it.  I had mentioned in my last blog post that the dashcam wasn't working.  We took it to Steren in San Miguel de Allende and they couldn't find the problem.  I didn't have the receipt so that was a no go.  When we got home on Saturday I took it back to our local outlet and they found the issue.  Although it says it can take a 64K memory card it can't.  They gave me two 32K cards and I paid an additional 3 pesos.  Back in business but it wasn't of any use on the trip.

I made a video though with Juan using his cell phone.  It jumpy and bumpy in lots of places but I learned about 25 new things related to making videos; how to add text, music, trim, change speeds, add photos and much, much more.  All by trial and error.  In the future the videos from the road should be of much better quality.  

Video: Road Trip To San Miguel de Allende

We didn't do much of anything and that was the plan.  I did my usual exercise routines, cooked, and actually ate in a restuarant, the first time in a year.   It was a bit uncomfortable but we wanted to meet friends that we had housesat for last year.   It was good getting together in an outdoor venue and there were only two waiters and one other couple on the patio.  The mask works really well, hardly any of the food would pass through the fabric.  That might make for a good diet in the future.

Barbara had us over on her rooftop one night and we had a good time doing nothing more than talking and of course a wonderful meal.  It was great being together with others who were also socially distance conscious.  


We were able to go out to the rural areas with Les.  I had asked him in advance and he assured me he'd like to have us along.  Les has been very active helping people living outside of SMA with food, clothing, his yearly soccer ball drive and now delivering wood cooking stoves to those who may need them.  They are pretty handy devices and work extremely well.

Also, a group came along the second day and as you can see in the picture above all with masks.  Juan and I presented the government program Bienestar and the scholarships (Becas Benito Juarez) for primary through university.  Everyone seems interested in getting the word out and since then I have received many emails asking for additional information.  Getting the word out is so important and also that we make this a community effort, not just an NGO where someone can toot their own horn.  It's about people helping people.  $40 USD a month for each child does a lot of good in addition to all the other donations and work people put into helping the poor.

So back home in confinement.  I've been busy getting my paperwork in order for the Mexican pension.  I have an appointment tomorrow.  Enjoy the video and leave your comments down below.

2 comments:

  1. I recognized a lot of that scenery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice drive...I was about to ask when we were stopping for snacks!! So cool that you are branching out on your blog and including the videos.

    It's so important how you, Juan and your associated colleagues are seeking out ways to help others through the education system. No matter where a person lives, it's education, education, education that changes lives. Have an epic day!!

    ReplyDelete