Thursday, March 26, 2009

Crossing The Border Back Home

It was a tough day coming home. I woke up at 3:30 a.m. bright eyed and bushy tailed. I grabbed my cell phone only to find out the battery was dead. I went into my friend's house where I was staying and saw the kitchen clock. Wow! Should I go back to bed? Forget about it. Once I'm awake, I'm awake.
I had my coffee, watched what crap was on tv at that hour and started to prepare my things and get the trailer ready. I didn't have the hookups the last two nights, or the jacks down as I had visited the local rv parts store the day before. So I was ready to roll.
I took a shower, said my goodbyes and headed out on the 35 South. It was a real experience that day it was. There was drizzle and then light rain. I kept going heading towards Laredo, Tx and found myself yawning just a short while into my trip. I knew I hadn't had enough sleep but what else could I do but keep going. And I did.
As wierd as it was, the highway was surprisingly empty. Very few cars and trucks on the road and that eerie feeling that surrounded me. I finally stopped in Cotulla for a coffee at the McDonalds. I ended up buying a breakfast on a bun as well figuring this was the end of my eating spree and back to my exercise and diet routine (anal retentive?) . So here I am in the McDonalds in Podunk, Tx waiting in line for a simple bun and a coffee. I entertained myself by watching the drive-thru window. Wow was that a mistake. Here I am at 8:30 in the morning, half asleep and looking for some solace in a simple heart-destructive breakfast. Here comes a pickup truck with a mother and what I first think is the daughter driving the truck. Turns out it is the son. Both are so obese that their bodies meld together into one, hard to recognize one body from another. The son (the driver) spits his nasty tobacco chew and spits it into a used coca cola bottle. As the window person accepts his money and turns to the register, vomit starts to spew from his mouth. He didn't have time to react, in fact, his lips just spluttered as the goo spilled over the door of the truck and out the window. Unbeknownst to the cashier, she turns with the two bags of food in her hand to find even more spewing coming from this horrible example of a human being. He continues to vomit and at the same time take the food from her hand. Now that is disgusting.
I couldn't help but laugh for the next 60 miles thinking about what had happened and how sick my mind is to find something like that so funny. Need I digress.
I got to the border and before I could even cross six men in uniform; two border agents, two I.C.E. agents in plain clothes, and two something or other, stood in front of my truck, stopping me and yelling to turn off the engine and get out of the truck. I told them I had two cats and they asked if they were exotics :). They did a complete search of both the truck and the trailer along with a thorough interrogation and a check of my passport and driver's license both Mexican and American. Once the "negative" was received, I proceeded to the Mexican side. Again, before I could hit the line they came running asking me again to stop, cease and desist. They too did the complete search but with one exception. As the agent approached my vehicle I saw a smile on his face and a fancy "howdidoo". "¿como está maestro? ¿usted pasa por aquí mucho, no? Once he recognized me we both accepted this was a routine inspection and on I went to the "semaforo". It was green and on I went passing the aduana.
But wait. Here come the military and they stop me with flags waving. One more search before I can leave the "patio" of the aduana. We or should I say I begin a conversation and we end up talking about how to import a 10 year old travel trailer into Mexico. You have to love Mexicans, they are the nicest people in the world.
On I went to the 26 km. To my surprise, immigration waved me on, I passed another "semaforo" and it was green. Having a travel trailer I am accustomed to being stopped whether or not I get a green light. I stopped on my own accord only to find no one there. I kept going and passed a Policia Federal who did nothing but watch as I drove by.
On to Monterrey and to the house, nothing out of the ordinary to report. I drove straight through town using the truck route and found myself at home in my bed taking my 2:30 nap as scheduled.
I miss my home. Not the house, but the country. I was getting depressed not seeing people on the steets, interacting, talking not having a fear of strangers.
I guess now I understand the saying, " a stranger in his own land". Viva Mexico!
On edit: yes, this appears to be the new procedure. Will be that way at all bridge crossings? Don't know, but they are attempting to stop the flow of weapons across the border.