Thursday, December 10, 2020

Light At The End Of The Tunnel

living.boondockingmexico@yahoo.com

Christmas 2020

You can tell by the woodwork and just about anything else made of wood has been restained and varnished or oiled.  That was my Covid project for two months including repainting the inside of the house a wall at a time.  Who says you can't survive during a lockdown?   I'm not sure if I mentioned it in the last blog but I am doing even better than when I went to the gym every day.  I'm not as big as I was but I am happy with the results.  Maybe I'll do a pic like Kevin and Les have done 😅💪

The really big news is that the vaccine is on its way and the vaccinations will begin soon.  I know it's not the end of the road for the lockdowns, precautions, and being safe but it is a great start to what will be one heck of a new year.  We are expected to get ours sometime in March according to the schedule.  We're itching to go somewhere and probably a boondocking spot.  The trailer is more than ready and so are we.


You wouldn't know by looking at the picture above that today is December 12, 2020.  The leaves just never seemed to want to leave the trees and the grass has never looked better.  One thing we did since changing gardeners (our longtime gardener retired), is we keep the grass longer.  It requires less water and endures higher as well as lower temperatures.  The previous gardener cut it very short to keep from having to cut it so often.  We seem to have more squirrels as well and that is not related to any of this other than to comment that I have made friends with one of them.  I call him/her, Sally.  She meets me in the mornings when I go out for exercise and follows me for a bit on the overhead telephone cables.  In the afternoon when I'm out in the yard, she comes to see me for a treat I give her and have some water.  She's not very close yet but little by little we are making friends.  Yes, I know it's probably just the food but I can pretend.  


I took this the day they laid the sod.  They hadn't yet covered with compost and it looked a bit ratty.  Now, two weeks later, the grass has grown and melded with the surrounding turf and it is just about ready for a trim.  So we're happy with the work they did and it beat doing it ourselves. 

I've been baking as well.  Made another great loaf of whole wheat bread and a batch of chocolate chip cookies.  Having not eaten out since March we have become even better cooks trying new recipes and cooking all our meals at home.  An occasional pizza which we split into four meals and freeze.  I sure miss eating out, we have so many favorite places for tacos, local Regiomontano food such as machacado y turcos and of course our favorite Italian restaurants.  That will all come back with time.  

Santa Claus is on his way!

7 comments:

  1. Glad you are getting along so well. I read you regularly but don't often comment. Yes. There may be light on the horizon. Meanwhile, what is machacado y turcos. I knew the term machacado, and have eaten many a good dish including that, but the "and turcos" confuses me. I looked up "turcos" and came up with dried beef again. So. What is it? Inquring minds want to know. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, the machacado is dried beef that we usually cook with eggs and pico de gallo. There is a strong Middle Eastern influence here in northern Mexico, mostly Lebanese from over 100 years ago. The turco is an empanada made with dried beef, piloncillo, and spices. I guess like a true mincemeat filling. They aren't very common but can be found in the area I live in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your yard is lovely. At home squirrels are a problem as they try to winter in the attic and make a huge mess and eat the wiring. I think everyone is starting to feel hopeful about a vaccine. Covid is bad in our little hometown of Terrace, BC. It had not been an issue since the pandemic started but cold weather and laziness about protocol has it on the upsurge. Lockdown at home in BC till January 8th. We are glad we are staying safe in Mazatlan and that we got here when we did. We all have to be responsible for ourselves. Merry Christmas you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same to you two also! Nice having a house on the coast. I bet the weather is fantastic. Today 26C and tomorrow night we go back to 2C.

      Delete
  4. Yard and house looking awesome. Great memories of our visit there. Joyeux Noël à tous mes amis!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. They are good memories and we had so much fun. Maybe again someday soon. Merry Christmas to you, Robin and the furkids.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete