Friday, March 11, 2011

Rver Visit In Saltillo

We received an email from Mike and Pat the day before yesterday letting us know they would be spending the night in Saltillo on their return trip to the U.S.  We drove up yesterday afternoon around 6 p.m. for dinner.

We had a lot of fun talking about their trip and their experiences and ours too.  We had dinner at El Tapanco on Allende street just blocks from the main plaza.  We had some problems finding they hotel La Fuente where they were staying.  I had called earlier in the day and the front desk clerk wasn't very clear on where it was other than he knew the place quite well.  He told me it was off of the highway to Matehuala.  Well, off we went and headed down Hwy 57.  We called again and asked if we were going the right way and he said yes.  Got to the toll booth and the woman said we were way off course and there was no turning back.  We paid the 32 peso toll and took the return loop back to Saltillo, about 12 kms past the toll booth.  

Well, there is another road from Saltillo that hooks up with the 57 but it is via Arteaga.  We found the hotel but the guy was a bit of a jerk.  Come to find out, the hotel charged them 300 pesos to park on a gravel parking lot.  What a rip off.   I am going to check to see if Mike and Pat got a receipt.  If not, hmmmm, this guy may have pocketed the money.  I'm checking into that.

All in all it was a great time and it would be cool to travel with these guys sometime.  They have a huge Bigfoot truck camper with slideout that is just beautiful.  They also tow a cargo trailer with two quads in it.  They have traveled Mexico a lot and seem to know many good places.  They are true adventurers.  

I recommended that we get a group together for an RVing Mexico reunion and spend a week sharing stories on side trips, cheap places to park and boondocking.

On our way home we missed the toll highway and took the libre.  It was just as fast and we actually were able to get to the house in Monterrey faster.  On the way we ran into a mega checkpoint.  They were X-raying all the trailers.  We attempted to merge several times but no one would budge.  About 100 meters ahead a federale started waving his flashlight at us to proceed again.  Not being an optimist, I thought he was going to let us have it for not getting in line.  Instead, he removed the barrier, asked us where we were headed and told to proceed with caution and to have a good evening.  

Work is progressing nicely here at home.  Again, the workers were here waiting at 7:30 a.m.  I am hoping to get the house back into some order over the weekend as they will finish with the bedrooms today.  They say we have to wait at least a week for the plaster to dry before we paint.

Pat pulled out some photos she found from 3 1/2 years ago.  Man, did I turn gray fast.  I can't believe I'm getting so old.  Lady Grecian????? 


  1. Don't worry i have had the most fun since i turned grey!!!! I met Pat and Mike three days ago here in SMA and agree with you, have a great weekend Les

  2. Chris, that is where we stayed in Saltillo. They wanted to charge us 280 pesos for dry camping. We told them we didn't want electricity and they still wanted that much. Kevin finally agued with them and told them that we don't pay more than 150 without electriciy and after a phone call that is what we paid. Would never stay ther again! dirt parking lot and a noisy road.

    Glad you had a nice visit with them.

    Kevin and Ruth