Sunday, June 1, 2008

Possible Adoption?



I was sitting outside this morning reading the Sunday paper. Cool morning considering we will have 100 degree weather all week. I had already taken my first dip in the pool. For the last two days I heard a kitten meowing constantly. I could never really pinpoint where it was coming from but I assumed it was a neighbors pet. But this morning, the meowing was waning and becoming faint which was a sign of a kitten in trouble. I went to the empty lot next door that is a bit overgrown with brush and bamboo, and there was the culprit. I lured her out of the brush with food, and grabbed her.


I put her in the spare bathroom for a few minutes to get some food in her belly and now she is running around in the yard coming up to the porch for a bite now and then. I think she knows where to get fed, at least for right now. Let's see if she hangs around.

Cerro de la Silla (Saddleback Mountain)

Cerro de la Silla (1820 m ,5970 ft) is the symbol of Monterrey. You see it everywhere. It is used by the government, businesses for their logos, on t-shirts, caps, etc. It can be seen from my house which is 20 miles South of the city. It stands tall and proud and a constant reminder of what Diego de Montemayor saw when he first road into the area over 450 years ago. I love my city. It has changed so much and in so many positive ways. I'm happy to live here and love to show it off to anyone who comes to visit. If you ever come to Monterrey, you can always count on me to show you around.

On a more serious note, I am pleased that our Mexican President Felipe Calderón finally took a stand and had the ganas to make a statement about the problems confronting Mexico in regards to the drug cartels. Calderón said, "The American drug market is the largest in the world, the war that Mexico is waging everyday claims the lives of Mexican policemen. Nevertheless, the majority of the consumers are Americans".

Tony Garcia, the American Ambassador in Mexico countered with, "drugs, weapons and other illegal goods, are a plague for Mexico just like the United States". He also added that innocent people are being killed because the cartels are fighting over territory in the same way that gangs fight over control of cities in the U.S.

This is an important first step in admitting that the root causes of the problems being faced are in both countries. I am sorry though that Calderón took so long to make a stand. As in the past, Mexico is afraid of its powerful neighbor to the North as we are so tied economically to the U.S.

Let's hope we can find a way to stop the killing and the deaths caused by drugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment